Saturday 15 October 2011

The Essentials Kit ... Sort of.

Sorry for the delay!  It's been a crazy week and a bit draining to this just passed me by.  To make up for it, as I watch a RHONJ Reunion, I will write about some of my favorite beauty products.  Before we start, I have to say, I generally wear the same makeup everyday: brown eyeliner, black mascara, blush, and foundation.  THAT'S IT.  But since I don't wear a ton, that doesn't mean I don't use some of the greatest products out there!  

For just that reason, here are my favorites: 
clockwise starting at the top: 
Urban Decay - "24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil" - Zero
Clinique - "Naturally Glossy Mascara" - Black
Vera Wang - "Princess" - Roller-Ball
Bourjois Paris - "Lip Stain Pen" - Rose Prefere 
Nars - "Lip Gloss" - Orgasm
Nars - "Blush" - Orgasm


I've attached links to everything I above except for the lip stain pen since I cannot find a place to buy it in the US!  TRAGIC.  As for what I've listed, the things I use EVERYDAY are the mascara and the blush.  Those two will go a LONG way when it comes to getting ready in the morning and looking good with little effort since I'm convinced they both make you look good and feel good.


Here's my break down for these items:
Urban Decay - "24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil" - Zero 
     This pencil works great, glides on smooth, and holds it's pigment well.  I mostly use this when going out at night or for special occasions since black eyeliner with my coloring tends to look a little harsh unless done right.  Otherwise, I love this and it's size means it's going to last a long time!


Clinique - "Naturally Glossy Mascara" - Black
     I've been using this product for years!  Unlike a lot of mascaras out there, this one actually gets all the lashes without any crazy promises and looks totally great.  I use it everyday and often as a base to other more vamp-y mascaras before going out.  It's not kidding when it looks natural.  I LOVE IT!


Vera Wang - "Princess" - Roller-Ball
    Though possibly buying a roller-ball is less effective cost-wise, but it's utility goes through the roof. It's super portable, doesn't take a lot of space (literally the size of a sharpie), and the perfume goes exactly where I want it to!  Sometimes fabrics don't react well with perfumes so being able to minimize clothing contact but maximizing scent, is the name of the game.  Also, to spice things up, other than just wrists, make sure to apply some to your collar bones!  Collar bones are close enough to the neck to take advantage of heat it radiates.  To clarify, the quickest way to cool someone down or heat someone up is through the wrists and through the neck since vessels are closer to the skin's surface.  Strange but true!


Bourjois Paris - "Lip Stain Pen" - Rose Prefere 
     I'll be forward with this: a big part of the reason why I love this lip stain is because it ISN'T pointy.  Strange request but, for me it's easier to handle since the tip is a similar shape to a lip gloss wand.  The shade of this is also pink without being too feminine and layers well.  The other perk is that it doesn't dry out lips too much so it can be worn alone (and fool people into thinking that's your natural pout).  Win-win, right?  I'll keep looking online for a vender but the last time I saw these products, I was in a Boots in London, England ... I'll keep my eyes peeled!


Nars - "Lip Gloss" - Orgasm
     Everyone has heard the hype around NARS' Orgasm line of cosmetics ... and it's all true.  The color is a peachy-gold and looks wonderful!  I love the way it looks, it's not sticky, and it matches my blush without looking too matchy.  (It also looks great layered over the previously mentioned lip stain pen!  I like to make things my own.)


Nars - "Blush" - Orgasm
     I owned this blush before I owned the gloss and I believe it's made all the difference in my beauty routine.  This blush, since it has gold tones, kind of does the job of both blush and bronzer for your cheek bones.  It's a great shade that illuminates your face in any light and makes you look flawless.  It also has a great feel to it and never feels heavy and goes a long way.  One note: don't over do it though!  Going into clown-zone is kind of hard with is product but not impossible.  My only negative is, though this color is so universal, sometimes different colors look better on different people in this line.  For example, my mother, who is paler than me with darker hair than me, has NARS Blush but, after trying orgasm, found that "sin" looked so much better since it had more red tones in it.  The moral of this story is, don't be afraid to try different colors on a range that has rave revues ... we're all different so maybe average doesn't work for everyone!


As a final note, don't be afraid to play or try on products in the store.  Shop around and see it in different kinds of light!  Don't settle for a shade off when it would take you just an extra hour to establish the correct one.  


Also, as a key for perfume, before you buy, spray a sample on yourself then walk for a while and see how you smell then. Sometimes perfumes don't always interact with our skin oils correctly and with some perfumes being $100+ you want to make sure you get it right the first time!


Live in comfort and shock with style.


PS. I'm currently trying out a set of 5 full-size Tarte Lip-Stains in some universal shades ... the set was $29 when to buy 5 individually is over $120 so I feel pretty good about it.  Find the deal online on the Sephora site!  They look great, smell great, and are made of natural ingredients.  I couldn't pass it up!





No comments:

Post a Comment