Tuesday 18 October 2011

Take a Walk in MY Shoes? It's gonna hurt ...

At the tender age of 12, my arches fell.  Years of ill-fitting soccer shoes with little support took their toll and POOF, I lost almost a half inch of height.  For those of you who do not know, if you arches are being pulled downwards, to compensate, your knees get pulled in.  When your knees get pulled in, your spine compensates by taking some of the stress and pain away from the lower half.  Pretty soon after, you hurt from head to toe and have to visit the doctor in anger.  It's a personal butterfly effect!  To compensate, wear shoes with proper support for your heel and your arch.  It's amazing how good you feel after!

Backing up though, because I needed support in my shoes, I felt that sandals were no longer a thing I could enjoy ... so I wore them anyway and took LOTS of tylenol.  LOTS.

Finally when I was in High School, I was introduced to Birkenstock sandals.  Needless to say, my outlook on sandals changed.  Not only do they look cute but they have support and, due to the cork and leather, shape to your feet!  

my fabulous silver gizeh birkenstock stock sandals

My mom learned that the hard way.  I've had these shoes for almost 6 years!  They look their age too ... leather is ripping, cork is almost gone in spots ... they're kind of a mess that I refuse to toss out.  

One morning, my mother tried to wear my sandals out to get the mail.  It looked as if she was walking barefoot on top of rocks.  Unsteady on her feet she yelled, "THESE ARE THE MOST UNCOMFORTABLE SHOES EVER."  Thanks mom, now you know how custom these shoes can become/how much support my feet need!  

Since these sandals are the cheapest of the adult birkenstocks at around $80, I realize the need to replace them but will probably wait until next summer since that $80 should go towards some sweet riding boots for winter.  Priorities people.  If I bought new sandals now I'd want to wear them in a foot of snow.  I must resist the temptation!  

The moral of this story is, take care of your feet, only occasionally do something bad for your feet (cause after a while, your body will pay), and if you try to walk in my shoes, it's going to hurt.  A LOT.

Live in comfort and shock with style!

No comments:

Post a Comment